Training Diary - 1

On April 17th I’ll be taking part in the London Marathon which, at the time of writing, is only three months away. This means my training should be well underway, although in reality, it’s only just starting. As a way of getting some motivation, this will be the first of a series of training diaries in the magazine before the big day.

As previously reported, I ran my first marathon in May last year, the Windermere Marathon, so in many ways I know what to expect. However, I’m expecting London to be flatter, but much busier, which will bring different challenges.

A combination of snow, ice and hectic schedules have delayed proper training. Since the snow melted, regular short runs in the week haven’t been too difficult to fit in, as with a full hour for lunch, I can usually manage a run of about thirty minutes. Unfortunately, these are not really enough.

I now need to build up my long weekend runs to improve endurance; this can be difficult, firstly in finding time, then in keeping going without injury. So starting at about eight miles today, I’ll be gradually increasing the weekend runs to prepare. The hills around Cam are excellent preparation (that’s what I keep telling myself anyway!), although hard work at times. If you see me on country lanes over the coming weeks, please give me a wave, although I apologise if I don’t wave back as I can become a bit oblivious when out running!

I’m using my place this year to raise money for the Christian Aid Poverty Campaign; more details will follow on this soon. So, we’ll see how it goes and I’ll be reporting back regularly to let you know how I’m getting on.

Postscript; Since my eight mile run on Saturday, where I saw a peloton of cyclists and many more following on through Coaley, I heard some sad news. A cyclist was killed in Coaley after being hit by a van trailer, less than an hour after I ran through. My thoughts and prayers go out to her family and friends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lessons in humility

Yesterday, I turned a corner...

The one where I own up to introspection...