How I preached and the calling became public...

That, was a crazy weekend.

On Sunday, I preached for the first time at my home church (the text is here if you're interested: http://distant-mountain.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/sermon-for-may-25th-2014.html)

I'm not sure if I'll always blog sermons (if I get to do any more, only the Lord knows), but for now, they are a record of steps on my vocation journey.

On the Friday evening, the Vicar agreed by e-mail to meet me for a run through on Saturday morning, I had sent a copy of the text about ten days earlier but this was the first response, so by this stage, I was trusting that God would be with me and that no major changes would be needed or that the chance to preach may be cancelled and to be honest, all these things had crossed my mind, but I also knew that generally, the Vicar lets you know if theres an issue, and if you hear nothing, you can assume all is well, and it was.

The run through was very helpful, working out logistics and a few very helpful tweaks to the text. I was nervous preaching to just one person, goodness knows how I was going to feel with a full church the next day, but I'm sure it helped me to prepare for how I would feel. The Vicar had also said she would be praying for me, that it was a good sermon, that people would be supportive and that praying as I stood to speak would help, so I did, a lot - and it did. I was also warned that the Vicar would sit in the congregation  as would the Vicar's father, also a Vicar, who was visiting that weekend and was willing to offer feedback. Forewarned is forearmed!

Saturday afternoon was spent driving to Swindon then Bristol looking at second-hand cars. This was followed up on Monday morning when a deal was done. I think I'm far too trusting to deal with used car salesmen, but took a good friend with me on Monday which helped a lot. In any case, this was a welcome distraction to the preaching.

So Saturday night was spent working on the sixth revision of the text.

We arrived in good time on Sunday, I was only preaching, nothing else, so would need to swap a microphone with the curate during the Gospel reading and again in the creed afterwards.

Before the service, the Vicar, as agreed, made an announcement:

When people are exploring a possible call to ordained ministry they need to be given opportunities to try certain elements of this ministry, for example deaconing and preaching. This helps both the individual, those around them and the church to discern if this is the call God has placed on them, if this is the right use of the gifts God has given them. Discerning God's call for our lives is never about being good enough, it is about finding the right place for the gifts that God has given us.

Andrew has been exploring God's call on his life and so as part of that discernment he has been given the opportunity to deacon and today the opportunity to preach. So the sermon today will be given by Andrew. I know that you will be kind to him and ask that you pray for Andrew as he continues to explore where God might be calling him.

Well, this let the cat out of the bag, some people knew I was exploring vocation, but this made it clear it was actually ordination I was looking at. As my name was mentioned, I was in the vestry with just the curate and the MC on each side of me and I must have reacted somehow and can't recall how, but they both reached out a hand each onto my shoulders in a silent prayer. It was the start of a moving morning.

We processed in and I felt much happier once the service had started. I found the corporate prayer and hymns reasurring and whenever my breathing got too shallow or fast, I'd pray, Lord give me strength. It seemed to work.

Afterwards, during the peace and after the service, so many people, many friends but others who had never spoken to me before, came to me and shook my hand, saying thank you. Good sermon. Good luck. Well done. It was clear. Loud enough. Not too fast. You seemed calm, measured. Nice sermon style. We liked the humour. A shame it wasn't a real vision...

The church warden thanked me in the notices at the end as well, which received a round of applause. That doesn't happen very often either.

It was nerve-wracking, my hands shook if not together on the lectern. My leg shook if both feet weren't planted firmly on the floor, but it had gone well. The way I'm perceived in my home church has been changed and I'm not sure how much or what impact this will have, but it feels like a big step forward.

Most of all, it felt like I was in the right place, which is the most humbling, scariest part of all.

A few days later and the urge to proclaim the good news is stronger than ever, now I'm just waiting for a call.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lessons in humility

Yesterday, I turned a corner...

The one where I own up to introspection...