Time to think…

First published in St Georges Church, Cam, magazine in August 2009.
A couple of months ago I wrote about how, as a result of the recession, my job at Renishaw had been made redundant. In many ways (but not all) this has been a blessing, I've been able to spend more time at home with my family, took James to school and was able to build a patio. I was also able to spend more time with God and in church. I was able to reflect on my future and that of my family and all the time with the support and fellowship of the God, church, friends and family. This has been immensely reassuring and has given a sense of purpose to life, even when the path has been unclear, knowing the path was nearby has enabled me to keep heading in the right direction.
In some ways it’s working. As some of you may know, I recently started a new job, similar to my last job but about an hours drive away. It’s working out well, although it’s a temporary contract so not as secure as it could be. The last few months have been full of challenges, many of which have been difficult to deal with but which have actually led to other opportunities.
This has not been just about the situation around me. It helps when we try to keep focused on the bigger picture, I have been fortunate to be surrounded by a supportive community while new ways to progress were coming up on a fairly regular basis.
Many of my friends from Renishaw are still looking for work, while many there are still dealing with reduced pay and very uncertain futures. This picture is repeated across the UK and it’s very troubling. So many people are struggling with difficult times ahead, not knowing what to do for the best. The next couple of years will be difficult for everyone in industry and commerce.
The direction in which we are taken can be very thought provoking. In my new workplace, I have been taken on to cover the long term sickness of a colleague who is about to undertake radiotherapy and chemotherapy for cancer. I’ve only known him a couple of days, but he’s a great bloke, obviously in pain but determined to cheerful – in a morbid kind of way! So now I pray for him as well. There is plenty of work to do so it may not be a choice to be faced, but if the choice was between him being well, and me being out of work – then I would choose being unemployed. The need to pray for guidance, hope, strength, courage and health never, and should never, end.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lessons in humility

Yesterday, I turned a corner...

The one where I own up to introspection...