Why I stopped studying Theology to get closer to God

The first point to make, is that I'm hoping it will be more of a pause than a complete stop. After all, in some ways, if we reflect on our lives prayerfully with scripture to guide us, then that can be defined a theology in action. I also hope to return to the theology course when the time is right.

In real terms though, last Thursday, I decided to stop attending the WEMTC (West of England Ministry Training Course) which I had been going to since September 2012. I had been attending as an independent student (so haven't been recommended for training to ministry) but they allow independents to study part-time alongside Readers and Priests in training to experience academia and help explore vocation (it's a part-time course). Full time students, usually younger or potential full-time ordinands would go to a theological college.

Initially, the DDO had suggested I tried a term, which I enjoyed and it grew in four terms. As I started the fifth however, I realised a number of things were going to make me reconsider continuing.

They are switching to a new examining body, which means I'll probably need to re-write all the work I've done and combined with 'officially' starting in September 2015, there was potential that this could have been the case with all work done until 'reccomended for training.' As the earliest I could go to a selection panel would be the end of year, more likely next spring, it's possible I could have done three years independent study then another three as 'official' training. That's six years, combined with working full-time, gaining experience and doing placements. That's a lot of study!

It has also slowly dawned on me that I was splitting myself in half, studying and exploring vocation. I realised that if I didn't focus on vocation, I risked not getting to a formal ministry in the first place. My son is also taking GCSE's this summer I need to support him.

I spoke to the course director, who was very supportive and agreed with my thinking, saying that it was the right thing to do. So that was it.

With the extra time and thinking power, it's my intention to:
  • Follow the daily office twice, not just once a day.
  • To spend more time in prayer.
  • To read more about ministry, the Holy Spirit and the Sacraments.
  • To go on retreat
  • To complete selection papers, initially the detailed version of questions in the Criteria for Selection.
I also rejoined a book group and with some irony, the first book was Finding Sanctuary by Christopher Jamison. Some monastic steps are probably what I need most of all...

Comments

  1. Thank you for following my blog, Andrew, at Walking With My Brother.

    Your genuine desire to share God's love and to discern the nature of His call is very evident in your writing. I know I'll enjoy walking together with you and sharing a bit of your journey.

    I'll include you in my prayers. God is so good. He will lead, if we are committed to following.

    Blessings on your day,

    Mary Adrienne

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lessons in humility

Yesterday, I turned a corner...

The one where I own up to introspection...