In the silence

For a short while, we are in ordinary time, so each day the words of the morning office roll around in my head like familiar friends not seen for a while. Then while the term ordinary also feels like the complete opposite, we have the gospel of John telling us about Mary Magdalene seeing the risen Jesus for the first time, I mean, how is that ordinary? It's such wonderful, (if confusing, for her) news! There is also Lent around the corner, with all the anticipation that brings.

But while the office is familiar, praying intercessions each day is always whatever feels right. Whatever comes to mind is prayed for, often a mental list of people and events I bring before God every day but today, there was silence.

Nothing came to mind at all.

I sat in the stillness and became aware of birdsong in the garden, the blinds were closed but a glimmer of first light was nudging it's way into the day. I let the silence fill with birdsong, a few thoughts crossed my mind but I stayed silent until the song ended. I felt God had been with me and had listened, always knowing what's in our hearts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lessons in humility

Yesterday, I turned a corner...

The one where I own up to introspection...