We waited together...

The roller coaster of Holy Week took some time to recover from this year. We worked through the whole range of emotion and it was quite intense at times. For lent this year I commited to saying the daily office of morning prayer every day and managed evening prayer or compline several times a week as well. In Holy Week I attended many services of many types and loved them all. From compline on Wednesday with a small quiet group to the blessing of oils and ordination renewal service in the Cathedral on Maundy Thursday where I sat at the back just taking in the pomp, ceremony and spriritually.

Good Friday was bleak. All my family friends followed the cross to the top our local hill. I tried, but my injured knee made it too painful and all I could was watch from the bottom. A crowd of perhaps 200 gathered on Cam Peak to watch the crucification.

Then on the breeze, I heard them singing When I Survey the Wondrous Cross. 
It was heartbreaking, beautiful, joyful and deeply sad.

It can be hard to connect with the depth and profoundness of it all at the time, but on Holy Saturday we had an evening service which brought home the real contrast. We were asked to pray and reflect on Jesus in tomb, asked to recall how it may have felt knowing this wonderful, innocent man had died and not knowing what would happen next.

We then celebrated the risen lord with joy, a roaring fire in the church drive and a renewal of baptism vows.

On Easter Morning, the church was packed, which was fantastic and we were encouraged to respond loudly:
Alleluia, Christ is risen.
He is risen indeed, ALLELUIA.

I wanted to shout it from the rooftops but as usual, typical English restraint took over, but one day I will and I'll bring everyone with me.

He is risen indeed,

ALLELUIA!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lessons in humility

Yesterday, I turned a corner...

The one where I own up to introspection...