Lessons in humility

Christians are called to be humble, it’s part of what bring us closer to being Christ like or ‘in Christ’. In our modern world though this can be very difficult. We are encouraged by society to be bold, seize the day and be confident. The focus on ‘self,’ being proud and materialistic are what society expects of us.

We can aspire towards humility and many Christians do through prayer, bible study, Christian fellowship and worship. I had started to read into recent events some signs that I needed more humility (I’m sure that much is true). I had agreed to lead a lent group and even though I denied it to myself, felt some pride at being asked (also some guilt for feeling pride). Then the group was cancelled due to a lack of takers, which was humbling. Another group I tried to join as a member was also cancelled due to low numbers, so I didn’t join a Lent group this year for the first time in several years which was disappointing (to me at least). I have also recently injured my knee which has also been humbling, it’s painful, locks up if I stand too long, gives way when I walk too fast and the knee cap slips occasionally so all in all, it's rather difficult. So now I walk slowly with a limp and a stick and have moved to a downstairs office at work because I need to use the lift which was a fire risk (in an emergency).

It’s difficult to be proud when you’re dependant on others. This was brought home in John Stott’s book, The Radical Disciple. His chapter on Dependence makes it clear that it’s okay to be humble and accept help. As Christians we are often willing to help others when we can, so to accept help when we need it is a natural cycle of life.

But as I reflected on the whole, this must be to make me more humble business, this quote from CS Lewis popped into my blog roll recently;

"Humility is not thinking less of yourself, but thinking of yourself less"

With thanks to http://www.youthblog.org/2012/03/humility.html

So I had got it wrong, nothing new there (self-pity, must watch out for that).

Some googling on the quote found this article from Tim Keller, The Advent of Humility, Jesus is the reason to stop concentrating on ourselves. Here: http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2008/december/20.51.html

This certainly made me think. I believe in God, I profess to be a Christian. I’m also human and have human frailties. I have to fight off feelings of pride and self-pity. Grace through Jesus is the answer and that is an outcome, not an aspiration, of following him.

The more I read the bible and the more I pray, the less I seem to find myself fighting off these thoughts, but the devil is always there waiting to chip away at our doubts and securities.

So this lent, I will read and listen to the bible (the bible society have some great downloads of the New Testament). I will pray the offices and will be a Christian. Perhaps grace and humility will follow but I’ll really try very hard not to dwell on it.

Comments

  1. Hello
    I have on my bookshelf 'Barefoot Disciple: Walking the way of passionate humility' which was the Archbishop of Canterbury's Lent book 2011, so it says. I'd love to be able to quote something significant from it but the truth is I haven't read it yet... but wondered if you had?
    Thankyou for the above. Made me think, too.
    Hx
    PS Thanks for visiting my blog; pleased to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for you comment, sorry, I haven't read that book but it sounds interesting so it's now in my Amazon basket. A book I found when looking into this (and is already on my shopping list) is The Way of Humility by Andre Louf, which I've not read either yet. Too many unread books on the shelf already!
    I think humility is so important and yet even desiring humility is trap for the proud.
    By the way, your blog is great, beautifully written and very honest but also so connected to God. Thank you for sharing...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Yesterday, I turned a corner...

The one where I own up to introspection...